Faculty Opinions (FO) is a research evaluation platform, providing up-to-date notifications and
article recommendations about science you shouldn’t miss. Our global virtual Faculty of over 8000
leading experts from across the life and health sciences recommend articles they consider to be
highly important to others working in their field and beyond.
Sciwheel (SW) is our award-winning product and evolving technology that provides customizable,
intuitive, accessible, and secure tools to progress research and discovery. From reference
management with smart citation suggestions to writing, annotating, and team collaboration, Sciwheel
is where research truly comes together.
We are seeking an enthusiastic individual to join the team as a Backend Engineer, reporting to the
From a technical perspective, you will be working as part of a multi-disciplined product team
including Product Managers, Delivery Manager, UX/Designer, Technical Architect, Test Automation
Engineer and other Developers, where you will be required to:
- Produce code in an iterative way, following Agile, DevOps and continuous delivery principles and
- Follow and promote a shift left development and testing approach where developers code their own
unit and integration tests using different frameworks and tools.
Understand the current and target state of Faculty Opinions and Sciwheel backend architecture to be
able to work independently as soon as possible to help transform and modernise Faculty Opinions
digitally and architecturally adopting a cloud-native and microservice-oriented architecture.
Develop and maintain clean, high-performance code, covered with various unit and API tests and in
line with the continuous delivery ways of working adopted by the company.
Nice to have
- Demonstrable experience programming in Java and using Spring, Hibernate, Apache Tomcat and
search engines such as Apache Solr or ElasticSearch.
- Experience in designing and writing RESTful APIs following industry best practice.
- Advanced knowledge and experience on Git, Git branching strategies and its application to
- Experience using AWS to deploy and run applications.
- Flexible and able to adjust to changing priorities in an Agile, iterative and fast-paced
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Fast learner, pro-active, resourceful and a strong team player.
- Experience on building serverless applications.
- Experience on using AWS Serverless Application Model (SAM).
- Experience using Docker containers.
- Experience coding in other programming languages including Python and Node.js.
- Knowledge on single page applications (SPA) using React, HTML and CSS.
Please send your CV and covering letter quoting the job reference,
explaining briefly your interest in the post, when you would be able to start,
and stating salary expectations to: Recruitment, SNG, 34-42 Cleveland Street,
London, W1T 4LB, or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sciencenow Group is an Equal Opportunities Employer